Create a fabulous one of a kind landscape design, playing with light, pattern and movement in the background. Try exciting and vibrant colour schemes, never seen in real life, and learn to simplify and abstract trees and other foreground details. Fabric painting will be demonstrated, and participants can choose to paint fabric which can be cut up and used in the background. Surface embellishment with stitching and pigment sticks will be included. A class for all levels with patterns available.
Let the images speak for themselves – see what you can create in just three days using your very own subject matter as mentioned above! Guaranteed learning and stretching the creative mind!
Treat yourself and feed your creative mojo and book yourself into Gloria’s workshop! Make it a fun weekend away with your sewing bestie – you deserve it!
Terms & Conditions
Please Read Before Booking
Booking Terms and Conditions – It will be assumed that you have read these conditions upon booking.
By booking a place in either a workshop or lecture you agree to abide by following terms and conditions.
To secure your place payment must be made in full. Your place is not secured until payment has been received. You can book either online, over the phone or in person with cash or credit card. Refunds will not be issued should you cancel or not attend the workshop. A store credit MAY be issued if we can fill your place. Handcrafters House does not accept responsibility for changes in the personal circumstances of its students. Mobile phones are allowed in the classroom but only when turned to silent or vibrate. No guests or children may accompany students in the classroom at any time. We reserve the right to change these conditions at any time without notice.
Retreat Venue Info
Location: Avalon Homestead, 381 Julimar Rd, Toodyay WA
Avalon Homestead will provide us with a large, brightly lit classroom with excellent facilities. All day tea/coffee (inc barista coffee), communal ironing stations, 5ft trestle p/person, wheel/swivel chairs, air condtion comfort and homestyle cooked meals. Breakfast is continental-style and lunch and dinner are 2&3-course meals.
Each room has its own ensuite bathroom with shower and toilet, plus the homestead has two further communal toilets. Twin share rooms have two single beds and single rooms will have a king bed. All linen, towels and basic toiletries along with hairdryer, personal irons and ironing boards are supplied per room. Rooms are fully air conditioned as well as ceiling fan and wall mounted TV’s.
Avalon homestead is truly a home-away-from-home experience with excellent food and attentive hosts.
Please bring photos, pictures, sketches, or other subject material relevant to the design of your quilt. A very simple image of sky, land/water and trees works well. Check out class photos included.
- Sewing Machine in good working order, machine manual, tools and accessories including a free motion foot, open toed embroidery foot and walking foot.
- Pen and notebook
- Pencil (2B), eraser, scotch tape, black medium felt tipped marker (Sharpie)
- Large sheet of white paper – needs to be at least as big as proposed quilt size.
- Rotary cutter, patchwork ruler, cutting board
- 3 metres of Freezer Paper (available from Handcrafters House)
- 2 metres of 24 inch wide ‘Steam a Seam 2 Lite’ – This amount can vary according to your design. Narrower Steam a Seam can be used but it is likely you will need more. (available from Handcrafters House)
- Threads – size 40 or 50 to match background and tree fabrics. Variegated threads work well and will be available for purchase in class.
- Neutral thread for the bobbin
- Machine needles – size 80 topstitch needles (available from Handcrafters House)
- Scissors fabric and paper. Small sharp scissors
- Quick unpick (seam ripper)
- A few two inch or one inch foam brushes
- A small paint brush
- Large plastic water jar
- Plastic plate (for painting palette)
- Rag, sponge or Chux for cleaning up, Apron
- Appliqué mat or sheets of baking paper
- 1 metre of white cotton fabric for painting.
- 1 metre of white cotton fabric for the base.
- Also bring a range of fabrics that blend well together in the colours needed for the background and foreground elements. Batiks, landscape prints, and hand-dyed fabrics can work well together with the hand painted fabrics. etc (1/2 metres, 1/4 metres, fat quarters)
Backing and Batting
Bring backing fabric and batting. This needs to be slightly larger than proposed quilt size. Thin batting such as cotton or bamboo works well.
Class samples size – approx. 20 in x 30 in.
HAND DYE FABRIC – By Gloria
There will be suitable hand dyed fabrics for sale in class.
Fabric paint and Gelatos pigments will be provided by the Gloria.
“As you will be painting fabric in class, it would be helpful if you could bring a thin board or something similar that you can lay out your wet fabric on to paint. I have purchased some thin board from my hardware shop that is coated in a thin layer of white plastic, like melamine. The boards are thin and light enough to easily carry. (Sorry, but too heavy to bring in my suitcase). I believe that Ikea sell desk protectors which are thin rigid plastic sheets that also work very well.”